Positively not! Paddle boarding is for everybody, and we really mean that here at iRocker. If you’re looking for a fun hobby to kickstart your summer, you’re in luck because it is not hard to stand up paddle board!
SUP is as simple as investing in your first paddle board and learning a few simple maneuvers.
Look no further than iRocker and BLACKFIN for the right board and beginner tips.
Practice Your Form Along the Coast
The most crucial part of the SUP experience is learning how to pop up on the paddle board correctly.
If you don’t master the action of standing up, the rest will just be a mess.
The easiest place to perfect your balance is on a solid surface (but first, remove the iRocker fins). Here’s a simple guide on how to stand up with ease:
- Begin on your knees with your hands gripping your paddle as it rests on the board. Once the board is stable beneath you, move one foot at a time to lift yourself into a crouching position.
- Pick up the paddle and slowly raise your body and spread out your base. Begin with your chest then extend your knees.
- Extend the paddle straight in front of you to gain your equilibrium before starting to paddle..
Look at you! Professional in no time! Take your skills from land to water for the real sea.
Whether you’re on a quiet lake or braving the North Atlantic, just a few minutes of SUPing will quickly prove why paddle boarding is one of the best workouts on the planet.
Tip: You might be sore the next day but it’s a good kind of sore. Your toned muscles will make it worth it.
Keep Your Balance and Carry On
We Brits have some challenging waterways, so you’re going to want to master the balance thing. If you have any experience with surfing, gymnastics, Pilates or another balance-challenge activity, this part will come naturally. Here are a few tips on how to remain on the board and stay dry once you stand up:
- Find your stance. Work at keeping parallel feet, centered between the front and back of your board. Keep a slight bend in your knees, your toes toward the nose of your board and your spine neutral. This will keep you steady in most water conditions.
- Keep your eyes up. Once you lower your line of vision, you can quickly lose your balance. Your sight should be set on the horizon while you’re on the paddle board.
- It’s all in the hips. Keep your balance by shifting your weight between your hips as you move through the water. Want to change directions? Lean into the turn leg as you move your paddle through the water.
- Take care of your feet. The quickest way to exhaust yourself is to keep your feet flexed for too long. Rock from side to side once in awhile and wiggle your toes to keep yourself relaxed.
Efficient SUP Launching
A proper paddle board session begins with a well-executed launch. The easiest launch is from the shoreline, but many start their trips from a dock. If your only option is the latter, here’s how to make it happen:
- Lower the board nose first into the water while holding onto the leash.
- Sit down on the edge of the dock and place your feet toward the back of the crocodile-textured traction pad.
- Get yourself to the edge of the dock at an angle so you can reach for your paddle board with one hand.
- Wiggle off the dock and settle your knees onto the center of your iRocker.
- Cheers! You made it onto the SUP. Remember the skills you honed on the shore to initiate standing.
The Right Gear Proves it isn’t Hard to Stand Up Paddle Board
A proper board, paddle and leash can elevate your entire paddle boarding experience.
Every aspect of your paddle boarding experience is affected by the gear you choose. From balance to buoyancy to fun, the best decision you can make is to invest in a great paddle board.
That’s where iRocker comes in. All iRocker and BLACKFIN boards are built with military-grade materials to ensure prime maneuverability and maximum durability throughout the years.
At iRocker, we believe SUPing should be done all over the world. That’s why all of our boards easily deflate and roll into a travel backpack. Seriously, it’s a piece of cake.
It’s time to find out which board is right for you. Hop onto live chat on the iRocker website to pick the paddle board that’s right for your lifestyle, waterway and body type.
Have questions? The iRocker team is here to help. Reach out to our crew to learn more about our two-year warranty, free shipping, 30-day guarantee and so much more.
And don’t forget to boast about your SUP balance strategies using the fields below.