Paddle boarding locations from the Shetney Islands in Scotland to the lush coastlines of the Green Sea require certain SUP gear depending on the season. Not only do we build great inflatable boards to make travel easy, but we equip you with the right gear and advice to ensure a successful trip.
SUPing requires a bit more preparation than strapping on your leash and finding your balance on the board. If you’re planning a full-day or weekend trip with your friends, things can go wrong very quickly if you don’t pack the right clothing and board accessories. Read on for our iRocker crew’s guide to SUP trips in varying climates.
Prep Yourself for a Warm Weather SUP Getaway
Packing a bag for a summer SUP trip is far less complicated than preparing for a trip in the middle of winter. When the sun is in the sky and temperatures hover right around 20 degrees Celsius, all you need to worry about is protecting your skin and staying hydrated.
- Bring swimwear that promotes mobility and allows for a quick dip when the mood strikes
- Lather your skin with a strong SPF sunscreen to block harmful UV rays that reflect off the water (pro tip: throw your bottle of sunblock into your deck cooler bag so it’s nice and cool when you rub it on your skin)
- Invest in high-quality moisture-wicking, SPF shirts and shorts to stay cool and refreshed your whole trip
- A wide-brimmed hat will protect your eyes and face from strong UV rays
- Attach your sunglasses to a sunglass strap so your shades stay safely attached to your body while exploring
- Water shoes are a great idea if you’re paddling in a lake, river or pond where you may walk along the bottom
- Don’t forget to pack plenty of ice, water and a water bottle that will remain icy cold all day
- Stay energized with healthy snacks
Cold Weather SUPing Requires Serious Planning
We can’t think of anything more exhilarating than SUPing around one of the UK’s beautiful bodies of water on a crisp winter day. Of course, that excitement can pose many problems if you don’t properly prepare. The iRocker team is here to make sure that doesn’t happen.
- Protect yourself with a high-quality wetsuit built for colder climates. It’s important to purchase one at least four mm thick to receive optimal protection in the chilly wind and water.
- A drysuit is an absolute must if you’re visiting a location with temperatures below seven degrees Celsius. While drysuits provide airtight protection from the elements, they provide zero insulation. Layer up underneath to stay warm.
- Stay cozy with a thermal shirt and pants. SUPing in cold weather can get uncomfortable very quickly if you don’t wear the right materials. High-quality long underwear will keep you warm and prevent overheating.
- Neoprene booties and mittens are your best friend when trying to regulate body temperature. Invest in booties at least two mm thick and gloves with grips built specifically for SUPing.
Exciting Accessories to Take Your SUP Adventure to the Next Level
While a cooler deck bag and a kayak bundle aren’t necessary for a successful SUP trip, they certainly provide an element of fun that you wouldn’t have without them. Take a look at some of our favorite add-ons for paddle board trips in all types of climates.
- The cooler deck bag isn’t just fun, it’s a practical accessory for your all-day paddling adventure. The cooler is water-resistant, fits everything you need and easily straps to your iRocker. Win, win, win.
- Convert your iSUP into a kayak to fill your weekend with a variety of activities.
- Heading out of town for the weekend? However you plan to get there, the premium carry bag is the easiest and safest way to store your SUP along the way.
Keep Your Crew Comfortable in Every Climate
Every successful SUP trip starts with proper planning. When you have the right SUP and the perfect accessories, everyone from beginners to advanced paddlers will have a great time on the water.
Before you plan little details like the sunglasses and shirt you’ll wear, make sure you pick the right stand up paddle board. The iRocker All-Around Wide Cruiser is a great option for beginners who want to develop balance and maneuverability.
Want to challenge your SUP skills? Take the BLACKFIN Model V for a spin on your next surf or race outing. It’s built for speed, agility and long distance paddling.
If you fall somewhere in between, check out our simple board comparison chart to find the right match for you. We build and design all of our boards with riders of every different size and skill level in mind.
Whichever board you choose, the final step in becoming a successful SUPer is protecting your body and board with the right gear. From blocking harmful UV rays to wearing a life vest in windy conditions, the iRocker team is here with the advice and accessories you need.
Have some questions? We’re here to help. Talk with our team of professionals through the live chat function on the bottom right of our website at any time. We can’t wait to hear from you!